Honey Bao Buns with BBQ Sesame Chicken
- HONEY BAO BUNS
- 2/3 Cups milk, warm
- 2 tsp honey, warmed
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- BBQ SESAME CHICKEN
- 500g chicken breast, chopped into 2-inch cubes
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Alderson's Morepork sauce
- In a large bowl, stir together water, milk, honey and yeast. Leave for 5-10 minutes, until frothy.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix into a dough, adding more water or flour as necessary. Knead for 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover and place in a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- When dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 5 portions. Roll each out into an oval roughly 1-2cm thick. Place a square of baking paper over one half of each bun, then fold over the other half so that the baking paper is in between the two halves. Cover and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes while you make the filling.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in the same pan over medium-high. Add chicken and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Add Chicken 15 minutes, then add the cooked onion and garlic, sesame seeds and Morepork Sauce. Stir to fully coat.
Fillings and condiments of choice (ribboned carrot, thinly sliced cabbage or iceberg lettuce, Aldersons Sliced Pickled Red Onions and chilli oil)