Pulled Chicken Sliders
These pulled chicken sliders are the perfect meal (or snack!) to serve in any season. If you’re a fan of pickles, then don’t throw away the brine! Pickle brine is a perfect way to add flavour to your protein as well as retaining moisture.
- 1x 1.4kg Chicken (whole or already spatchcocked from the butcher)
- 1L of leftover Alderson's Classic pickle brine
- Chicken Rub
- 1 cup of shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup of shredded red cabbage
- 2 Tbsp of mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1x Pack of Slider rolls
- ¾ cup of Alderson Morepork Smokey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup of Mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp of melted butter
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- If you have a whole chicken, place the chook on a cutting board breast side down. With a pair of kitchen shears, cut down either side of the backbone and remove the spine. Flip the chook over and push down hard to flatten and evenly spread the bird.
- Place the chicken into an airtight container and pour over the pickle brine. Seal the container and refrigerate for about two hours.
Making the slaw:
- Thinly slice both coloured cabbages and place into a bowl. Spoon in the mayonnaise and cider vinegar, then mix. Season with salt and pepper, then cover and set aside in the fridge until needed.
Cooking the chook:
- Remove the chicken from the brine, drip dry and then place onto a wire rack over a tray. Pat the chicken down using a paper towel to soak up any of the remaining brining liquid. Drizzle with olive oil and season with your favourite chicken rub.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast and place the chicken into a preheated BBQ or oven at 135c (275F). Cook until an internal temp of 74c (165F) is reached, then rest for 10 -15 minutes.
- Once rested. Pull the meat from the bones and discard any funny bits. You can use a pair of forks to shred the chicken, but I prefer to get stuck in with my hands.
- Add the meat to a bowl and pour over the BBQ sauce (make sure you save some for later!), along with any resting juices and mix until well coated.
Bring it all together:
- Slice the slider rolls in half and remove the top half. Pile the meat on top, sprinkle with cheese, then return the top bun. Mix the melted butter with the parsley and brush over the sliders.
- Place back into the BBQ or oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the buns are golden. When ready. Remove the top half of the buns and spoon over the slaw. Add some more BBQ sauce to your taste and return the top buns.
Place the sliders onto a plate and enjoy!