Fried not fried Green Fire Wings with Verde dipping sauce.
Not only is are these wings extremely tasty but this is a great recipe for achieving crispy fried style chicken without all of the fat and oil. Utilising the outside of the grill space on a kettle BBQ with all the heat source in the middle allows for high indirect heat, turning your BBQ into a large dry fryer. Just like an air fryer. Giving you juicy chicken with crispy skin.
This recipe can also be made using a regular oven - minus the wood smoke!
- 3/4 of Bottle of Alderson’s Salsa Verde Pepper Sauce + 2 Tbsp
- 1kg of chicken wings (You could also use chicken nibbles)
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- 1x Chunk of Apple Wood
Salsa Verde Dipping Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp Mayonaise
- 2 tsp of Alderson’s Salsa Verde Pepper Sauce
- Squeeze of half a lime
- Small bunch of finely chopped coriander
- Remove the chicken wings or nibbles from there packaging and place into an airtight container. Open your bottle of Alderson’s Salsa Verde, and pour 3/4 of a bottle over the chicken. Return the container lid and give the chicken a good shake to coat everything evenly.
- Marinade in the fridge for a minimum of two hours, but you could go over night.
Fried not fried:
- Pre Heat your BBQ/oven to 400/ 450F, 204/ 232C . If using BBQ place the coals in the centre of the BBQ.
- Into a sheet pan, add the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, chilli flakes and a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- When the chicken has finished marinating, remove one wing at a time from the container and dredge through the flour mix. Shake off any excess flour and place onto a wire rack. Leave the chicken on the wire rack for at least 10 minutes for the coating to adhere.
- Place your chicken around the perimeter of the BBQ and add a piece of apple wood into the centre of the BBQ. I like to point the wing tips out and up to prevent them from burning.
- The wings or nibbles are done when they ready 165F/ 73C, but you can take them further too 190F/ 87C internal to ensure they’re nice and crispy.
- Pull the chicken from the BBQ /oven and place into a large bowl. Drizzle over 2 Tbsp of Salsa Verde and give a good shake to coat the wings.
- Nice and easy. Into a bowl add all of the sauce ingredients and give it a good mix. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve this family style. On a board or a nice plate for everyone to tuck in around a table. Garnished with some fresh coriander and sliced lime. Pour your self a beer and get stuck in.